Wednesday, August 10, 2016

New to Me Picture Books #pb10for10

Well, I missed the post that #pb10for10 was today but was excited when I saw all the notifications about new posts. I love finding out what other books people enjoy. Luckily I am working on the book a day challenge this summer and many of my books have been picture books. So for my #pb10for10 I'll share my favorite, new to me, picture books. Be sure to check out the Picture Book Ten for Ten community for more great book recommendations!





I'm always on the look out for books with strong female characters and this one definitely fits the bill. Fifth grade begins the year discussing human rights. I think this will fit in nicely. Beautiful pictures and a remarkable story about Wangari Maathai.


Somehow Steve Jenkins has not been on my radar as a favorite author but he is now after reading several of his books this summer. I love the pictures and the question/answer format of this book. I plan on using this book with my third graders. I think after listening to it they could ask their own question and research the answer.


Another book by Steve Jenkins. Fun illustrations accompany this story about how animals protect themselves from predators.


One more by Steve Jenkins. The pictures are wonderful. The text is an easy read and at the end of the book there is more detailed information about each animal. There are two more books in this series which I haven't read yet; Time to Eat and Time for a Bath.


Little One has the most wonderful illustrations, they add so much to this quiet gentle story of a cub's journey with its mother. This is a story I will keep in mind as a gift for new parents.


This is a delightful series and I'll be encouraging our librarian to check them out and get them for our school. Each of the books I read; this one, kangaroo and cape buffalo, begin with a child asking if you really want to meet that animal. When the answer is yes the child gives you a new fact on each page and dangers you could encounter. Other books in the series include: platypus, monkey, crocodile, tiger, polar bear, and elephant. Next February there will be new additions-camel, orca, owl, badger and wolf. I'd love to use these with my third graders as well.


I've been enjoying Lois Ehlert's books for many many years. This book will be a great addition to the theme of finding and following your passion. This book gives the reader a glimpse of her childhood and her path as an artist. Each year I have one or two students that love art. I'll be getting this book just for them.


Before We Met is filled with beautiful illustrations and describes that special time before a baby is born. I won't be using this one in the classroom but I have a friend that is expecting and I plan on giving this book to her and probably to my own children once they start their families. It's that type of special book.


This is another one I'll be purchasing for my classroom. It's a delightful story of a boy and his dog and how they learn about each other and the world around them. I like the way it brings in school subjects outside of school, it could make for some good discussions.




The Artist and Me I'll be recommending to our art teacher. It's a beautifully illustrated story about Vincent Van Gough. It touches on themes of bullying and being true to yourself.




It was really hard to stop at 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment